Sunday, December 2, 2007

I am not for sale

Two days back, I received a call from the father of a prospective bride. Seems to be a gentleman, settled in one of the west coast cities of the US. The conversation went pretty decent until he started giving me accounts of his richness. He said " I own multiple liquor stores, gas stations, I don't really work but just go to the shops, collect money and deposit it in the bank". He was also President of some kind of North American East Indian association.
I was thinking "Good for you, but why are you telling me all this, tell me about your daughter".
He said somethings about his daughter, how she has done her University, but still want to start her own business and his promise that he will invest in whatever she wants to open up.
Then he asked me "You can relocate to the US, right?"
"Excuse me, but isn't it too early for that discussion. And even if things were to proceed, isn't this something your daughter and I should talk about and decide - who wants to move? where?"
The rest of the conversation didn't go that well. End of it I told him "I don't think this is really going to work out". I think he got something close to a cardiac arrest, he was only used to people admiring his riches and wanting to associate with him.

I felt good after the conversation ended :D

I called my mom and told her what happened. I thought she was going to talk about "how I am not being open about possibilities etc". Instead she said "My son is not for sale". She rocks!!

It was her birthday on Wednesday and my grandparents were home. My grandpa was upset. And I asked "what now? - somebody didn't wish him, invite him for a function or something?". People sometimes hunt for ways to get disappointed. My grandpa's only brother's son; happens to be my uncle (but he's more like my friend), had a kid recently. For the major part of his life, he has lived in London, and a few years back he got married to his Scottish girlfriend.

Now, that is not the reason for his recent mood fluctuation. They all like her very much, I remember my mom and grandma talking about how nice she is etc, the last time they visited us.

Apparently, they didn't give the kid the same name(his church name so to say) as his grandpa; which is sort of a tradition.

Big deal!! what's in a name?
He was ok by the end of the day. I think he realizes times have changed!

So, thought for the day - "Don't hunt for ways to get disappointed. Cherish what you have. Shoot for bigger dreams, but don't get yourself wrapped up in things that you can't change. Some things are really simple, they are better left as is, not worth the effort of trying and changing them"

I am going to Kerala for Christmas and I can almost sense the arrangements being made for my visit home. Sometimes I think I should get into a contract with NBC, take a camera crew home and shoot the Indian version of "The Bachelor".
I could be a millionaire!! hmm..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey very impressive. I must say you are very articualte I would not have guessed that.