Wednesday, September 19, 2007

mom and arranged marriage

"Why don't you like any girl we find for you?" - Mom asked me.
"Which one? the last one? but you didn't like her either" I answered.
"What about the one before that? The one fom Chennai?" - Mom

I did not answer. But she knew the girl's parents didn't want me to talk to her more than 1-2 times. They said "You can talk as much as you want after engagement". Great!! so you will allow me to call off the marriage if I didn't like her.
"No, engagement in itself is a commitment, we should not take such things lightly"..
.. Gimme a break!

"What does your father do?" Another parent asked. I told about his workplace. "We want to visit his office".
"Lady, are you going to get your daughter married to me or is it my father who you are interested in? Make up your mind". Well I wanted to say this, but how could I, under the sharp eyes and ears of my uncle.. btw, I do love my uncle, he is just so overly worried about me, even more than my own parents. He thinks that I am reaching the market cut off age, there will be no more demand for me after an year, I will end up as a bachelor thus defeating the primary purpose of my existence - reproduction..

Mom - "If you don't like the ones we choose, why don't you go and find one yourself. I don't care, just get married, I am tired of answering people"
Me - " Why are you so tired? Who are you answering to?
Mom - "I meet lots of people in a day and this is all they want to ask me. Is you elder son married yet?"
Me - "Why is everyone suddently caring about me?"
Mom - " I don't know, find somebody or get me out of this place"
Me - "I am trying, but there are so few single girls out there. Most of them have been taken, some when they were still in school..

Mom.. after a long pause.. "What the heck were you doing when you were in school?"

Peace.. This battle is not something I can win.. My mom has an incredible ability to win her verbal battles - tears, threatening, history (yes those episodes in life which she knows she can use to blackmail you, even though they don't have the slightest connection with the current scenario.. But she is adorable.. and I love her very much..

Thanks Amma (thats what I call her), for what you are!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty well written… Impressive

Keep writing…hope to see more notes from you out of your experience.

Snehapoorvam

Leeja

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

ha ha ha...so many of my friends have gone through/goimg through this phase! It will pass...someday ;-)

Found your blog through facebook :)

Saf said...

Mom.. after a long pause.. "What the heck were you doing when you were in school?"

LOL

Walker said...

Thalle polappan!

So finally you too started writing some stuff in. Good ... keep writing... by the way its your friend Sajith here :)

When would you like to miss your next international flight? he he ...

I do write a bit too, but they are in http://360.yahoo.com/sajithga ... peep in sometime...

take care

Sajith

Swaroop said...

Thanks everyone.. I used to scribble, but recently thought of moving to a blog and I am enjoying it..

International flight - have patience my friend, soon.. I am targetting the domestic sector first..