Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Procrastination and Rationalization

"C grade players come in two different flavors - Procrastination and Rationalization". I'd borrowed this quote for an article I wrote about two years back for the department news letter of my alma mater. They had contacted me to contribute towards the alumnus section of the news letter. That was probably one of the best articles I have ever written - both technical and non technical; really enjoyed writing it from the moment I started the first sentence. Forwarded it to one of my Managers for a quick review, and before I knew it, it went to the Director, the then India MD and finally to the CEO and co-founder and actually heard back from some of them - one of those proud moments.

But over the last two years I'd deviated from what I had written. I was working deeply embedded within the client teams. They'd get a bunch of staff developers on board and put a consultant as a lead to make sure that the project gets over the line. No high expectations, less driven team (no matter how much you try), before I knew I'd fallen into that routine and started procrastinating (lets just say there were other distractions to add to the fuel).

But the past few weeks, I have been working my butt off, and strangely it felt so good. So much being thrown at, with high expectations, I guess that was a wakeup call. Got my 77 model Ambassador upgraded to an F1 Ferrari. I love that energy, and all the more felt good to get back into long GDD calls, pulling legs of colleagues,... It is fun, plain fun! Sometimes work can be very interesting, you just need to mix the right amount of fun; and people always do love a cheerful person around!!

I'd ended the article with the thought "If you are not doing anything outstanding, what's the point?". I have been sort of reflecting back on that - if you are not thrown into difficult situations, what's the point? if you are not given chance to turn things around what's the point. Experiences mould somebody's character. Thank your good ones, but thank your painful ones too.. Cauz they triggered a silent but long lasting change in you..

It snowed today in Calgary, damn it's only October.. Last year in Toronto I didn't see snow till the New Year. I was excited to see snow when I went to Toronto for the first time in March 2004. I remember running out of my apartment and taking a long walk when it snowed (well, it was hardly a few flakes). I might not appreciate it as much today, but I am looking forward to Calgary's infamous brutal winter. I guess it is sort of the adrenalin pumping with a "Bring it on" attitude.. But I am sure I will start bitching about it someday..

This weekend I am flying to Halifax. Nick called me and said "Dude, there is a big halloween party here. Promise me you will come down!!". I thought what better time to visit the Atlantic coast

No comments: